Welcome to the Handleman Post, a renewable energy blog where I help you differentiate truth from hype. You are in the right place if you want a fact based discussion of the state of renewable energy and the possibilities for its future. A growing number of posts on this blog are reaching national audiences through outlets such as The Energy Collective and Clean Technica.
Below is a list of the most popular and / or most important posts on the blog. Most of the posts listed provide a quick reference to in-demand information about renewable energy. Posts with logos indicate that they have been published nationally in those blogs.
US Wind Potential has Barely Been Tapped. HERE – is a post showing where the best sites are and how we can harvest wind at those sites.
– The best Wind sites have capacity factors in excess of 50% offering phenomenal value – HERE .
– New wind turbine technology is further reducing the cost and intermittency of wind power – HERE
RENEWABLES IN GENERAL
The cost of Renewables Is Dropping Rapidly – HERE are lots of great graphs showing declining costs.
– The amount of renewable energy has been growing exponentially for decades. Here are some good graphics illustrate that growth.
– HERE is a link to videos of an entire course on renewable energy. The presenter is engaging making it fun and interesting.
– Storage is vitally important for the future of renewable energy and many think that Lithium Ion batteries will play an important role if the cost can be brought down. Elon Musk predicts breaking the important $100 / kwhr barrier by 2025. This is in the same ballpark as predicted by Navigant and McKinsey prior to the Tesla announcement of the Gigafactory details – HERE .
– And not to worry, there is plenty of Lithium – HERE .
There has been much excitement over the Tesla Powerwall energy storage system. It is important but not for the reasons described in the press. My recent post post on the significance of Powerwall was picked up by The Energy Collective – HERE.
ELECTRIC VEHICLES INCLUDING ELON MUSK AND TESLA
– Electric Vehicles pollute less even when you take into account emissions from the generation source HERE
– Tesla really is revolutionary. HERE
– EV batteries are the cost driver and they are coming down FAST – HERE
– EVs combined with Load Shifting use market forces to increase the value of wind power while reducing the cost of driving. – HERE
EVs don’t have a range problem – HERE .
The Land area required for solar is relatively small in comparison to the overall human footprint.
Incandescent bulbs are being phased out in favor of high efficiency lights. The most efficient is LED lighting which is dropping in price rapidly and is more efficient than CFLs – Here.
Moving renewable energy from the best sites (eg Great Plains for wind, the Southwest for solar) to sites of highest demand such as the East Coast requires upgraded power transmission infrastructure
– The US is composed of three separate, independent electrical grids, by connecting the three grids Tres Amigas will make wider use of renewable energy possible.